Monday, May 4, 2020

Privacy: Uses and Abuses

For this weeks study, I was assigned to "freak out" about what I gathered about modern privacy based on a few TedTalks. I did, in fact, freak out. The first TedTalk I  viewed, was given by Juan Enriquez. I found it a bit difficult to follow, but what I took away was that the communication channels we use are essentially our "tattoos." By this, Enriquez meant that the information we post on the internet is permanent and attached to us, like a tattoo.

The second TedTalk, and to me the most shocking, was given by Catherine Crump in 2014. Crump provided detailed insight on ways the government uses surveillance technology to invade our personal lives. Local governments have the ability to gather patterns of information using technology like cell towers and license plate readers. Often, this file of information that is gathered on each person can later be used to make decisions about who officials think you are. Crump reminds us that, "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it is not there," referring to surveillance technology. I was drawn to this statement in particular, as I personally had no idea that my local police department likely has a file of images of me and locations that I frequent. In any case, this information can be used for political advantage or blackmail. Thus, Crump offers a solution: push city councils to help eliminate local police departments' data gathering of individuals, while still using surveillance technology for legitimate purposes.

I next watched a talk given by Christopher Soghoian, in 2015. I found that he was communicating a similar warning to Crump, that we are being watched. However, this talk focuses on how our privacy can be invaded without leaving home. Telephone companies use surveillance fe atures, that mean at any time we could be listened to. However, many communication platforms use heavily encrypted technology to prevent wire tapping from not only the government, but hackers. This creates growing difficulty for the government and their capability to gather information on potential threats. However, as Soghoian states, it is best to use encrypted networks and protect private information, than to live in a world where governments and hackers have the potential to invade one's privacy.


In 2017, headlines were flooded with reports on how recordings from an Amazon Alexa played a role in proving the innocence of a murder suspect, and ultimately solving the case. I thought of this when Soghoian brought up how we are all being listened to, and compares the benefits with cost. While in this case the device, which was off, recording proved to be beneficial. However, Amazon handing over the recordings proved that they literally have a database of every sounds picked up from an Amazon Alexa, even when off. Sounds very Big Brother, to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment